How to Get Relief from Day and Night Coughing Fast
While it usually takes only about 7 to 10 days to clear up a cough, this does not improve the week you spend coughing. Living with a cough can ruin your sleep and generally make you feel miserable. A persistent cough may be severe, even without any other symptoms, and you should contact your doctor, still, it may be useful to try to stop a cough with some tips.
Tips On How To Get Relief From Cough!
If your cough prevents you from focusing on the day-to-day tasks (and possibly distracting your colleagues), these tips can help as a natural cure for cough!
- Stay hydrated. It’s always a good idea to get enough fluids, and even more so when are suffering from cough as staying hydrated helps thin your mucus and makes cough more productive and potentially helps fight your infection.
- Have honey. Honey has been used for ages as a home cough remedy, and research shows that giving children honey reduces their night time coughing. Honey worked as well as dextromethorphan-containing medicines. However, due to possible impurities and the risk of infant botulism, honey is not suggested for children younger than 1 year.
- Keep your head raised as you rest. Sleeping with an elevated head may reduce postnasal drip coughing. Sleeping this way also helps to alleviate GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease) that can lead to coughing.
- Steam inhalation. Steam can help break down mucus causing a chesty cough and help you to cough it up, but care should be taken to avoid burning yourself with hot water or steam.
- Use a room vaporizer (make sure that it is out of the reach of children), or sit with your head over a bowl of hot water and a towel over your head to inhale the steam. Menthol, camphor or eucalyptus can be added to the water.
- Drink plenty of fluids that can make the mucus thinner and easy to cough up
- Take a hot, steamy shower to help break down the mucus (phlegm) and makes it easier to cough up; and get plenty of rest.
- If you’re a smoker, giving up smoking will help.
- Do not take a cough suppressant because it suppresses cough, causes mucus (phlegm) build-up in the lungs and increases the risk of infection.
- Do not take sedating antihistamines as they tend to dry and leave the secretions in the lungs.
- Do not take a combination of a cough suppressant and expectorant.
Eucalyptus oil is an expectorant, and in no time will cough, headache, body ache, and a blocked nose relieve itself with its antibacterial action. Tea tree oil has been a multipurpose antimicrobial agent capable of treating the infection. On the other hand, thieves oil has more beneficial properties as it is a mixture of essential oils such as lemon, cinnamon bark, clove, rosemary, and eucalyptus. It works as an expectorant, an antimicrobial, and an anti-inflammatory agent that can relieve your throat.
How to use essential oil as remedies to relieve cough
- You’ll need some drops of eucalyptus oil OR tea tree oil OR thieves oil.
- Rub on your neck and sinuses the essential oil of your choice.
- You can apply one or two drops on the chest as well. Do this twice a day, especially before going to bed.
- Using these essential oils twice a day and especially before going to bed will provide you considerable relief from cough and cold in a couple of days.
Honey and Cinnamon:
Cinnamon with honey is a magic potion for stubborn coughs that will not go away easily. It helps by clearing the clogged sinuses and inflamed respiratory passages are soothed. For children, this mixture is safe, and they also love the flavour.
How to use Honey and Cinnamon as a quick remedy for cough
- A pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Heat the honey and add the cinnamon powder to it until it becomes slightly runny.
Mix it well.
- Once the mixture is cooled, ingest it.
- Use this delicious syrup 2 – 3 times during the day to control the cough.
- By taking this syrup 2-3 times a day you will experience considerable relief in cough in a single day.
You can solve your cough problems with this beautiful, delicate herb. Thyme has antimicrobial properties which treat the cough-causing infection. It is also mildly remedial and can help to reduce any pain in the throat from cough. When you drink this herbal tea, you will experience instant relief.
How is thyme the best way to treat a cough?
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup of water
- Boil the leaves of thyme in water for a couple of minutes until the water is reduced by half.
Sip the liquid.
- Have it once or twice a day.
- Thyme is very effective on cough and you can feel the difference in just 1 day.
The leaves of Basil have wonderful healing qualities. They are analgesic and antimicrobial and can relieve pain. Their anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and immuno modulatory properties will help the cough recover quickly.
How to cure cough at home with Basil
- ½ cup of basil leaves
- Wash and chew the basil leaves.
- You can add a pinch of salt and some black pepper if the taste is too strong. Chew the leaves of basil 2 – 3 times a day.
- The basil leaves will sooth the throat and relieve from cough in a couple of days.
All the tips described above are assembled from the experiences of people around the world and hardly have any side effects, but as each individual is different, please try the remedy once. If any problem occurs then kindly discontinue its use and consult your doctor.